Saturday, April 20, 2013

One-Step Questions Week #23, 27th April (November Candidates)

As you saw today, there are prizes for the people with the highest total number of One-Step wins over the course of their 6 months with me.  To be eligible for a total wins prize you must make it through the pre-test as a current candidate.  There will be prizes for both 1st Dan Candidates as well as a separate prize for 2nd Dan and higher candidates.  Will YOU taste the sweetness of VICTORY?



One-Step Questions, Week #23, 27th April 2013:

1.  I have Taegeuk Ee Jang checked off.

2.  I have asked a higher belt or Instructor to watch me do the form I am working on to get checked off BEFORE I ask for my form to be viewed for check off.  I wrote down the tips they gave me to work on in my binder.

3.  I have Taegeuk Sah Jang checked off.

4.  I have memorized all three curriculum forms - Taegeuks Ee, Sah and Yuk.

5.  I have practiced all 15 of my forms - 1 time this week for 1st degree candidates (see forms card tab above or use your forms binder for those you don't have these memorized yet), 3 times this week for 2nd degree+ candidates for your 16 or 17 forms.

6.  I have video taped myself doing the form I am currently working on checking off and watched myself on a big screen (tiny you is perfect, big you shows what you need to work on).

7.  I have done 100 round kicks on the bag 2 times this week making sure they are round kicks (top of foot hitting and belt knot going from side to side) above the bag line.

8.  I have done 20 each of Crunches 5 Ways (total of 100) and 5 bridges at an 8 count (see tab above if you don't know what Crunches 5 Ways and Bridges are) 2 times this week.

9.  I have done 2 sets of 25 pushups (50 total) 2 times this week.  Focus on technique - see tab above on 100 pushups. 

10.  I have done a run 2 times this week.

11.  I have worked on my punches in the mirror 3 times this week - check for wrist curls (relax muscles and pinch sides of wrist and it will fall into a straight position), make sure your elbow has a slight bend in it to protect your joint and to place your fist off the center of your chest, a marble should roll from your elbow down to the center two knuckles off your fist.

12.  I have worked on my high blocks in the mirror 3 times this week making sure I am chambering symmetrically and parallel (should look like a diamond shape in the mirror), when you make your high block check for the arm to be above your forehead, no wrist curls and the profile of your arm shows the flat inside curl of your fingers in the mirror.

13.  I have worked on my front stances - 20 each side 3 times this week.  My hips are parallel to the wall I am facing, my back leg is completely straight, my shoulders are over my hips and I can make my stance lower by bending my knee and dropping my hips towards the floor.  Check how you look sideways in the mirror to make sure your torso is not coming forward in your stance.  How low can you go and still kick out of your stance?

14.  I have worked on my walking stance 3 times this week making sure my heels are pointed straight back, my feet are slightly wider than my hips and there is no visible bend in my knees.  Check this on the back leg of Taegeuk Ee Jang - do your feet go back to a true walk stance after kicking?

++++++++++++++++++++

The name of the app I mentioned this morning is Ubersense.  Its a free app out there for Ipad, Iphone and Android and is a tool you can use to zoom in and slow down motions to see how you are performing.  Any type of filming is beneficial so if you don't have a phone or tablet with video capability, just use your video camera.  If you don't have one of those you should look into getting something as you'll have to have it to tape your requirements prior to the pre-test and its a good tool to use as we go through forms.

No comments: