Saturday, February 15, 2014

Week #7 - 22 February 2014


Here is a note I copied from the last candidate session talking about what we are looking for in your forms.  It is a pretty good start list for the first degree candidates.  Remember, forms can be taken away from you so make sure you are consistently performing all your forms at or better than you performed them to get the original check off.  I hope to see you ALL past the line this coming week!

What is a form done at check off level?  Here are a few things we are looking for - this list is not complete but just a few things off the top of my head.  You should think about these things as you are doing forms to make sure you really are at "check off" level.
1.  Correct foot placement throughout the form.
2.  Sharp spotting throughout the form.
3.  Arms are kept strong, punches at the correct level, elbows are tucked in, good fight stance with arm placement, hitting chambers and punches not placing, etc.
4.  You start and finish each leg of the form with a strong movement.
5.  Don't rush into the leg, take that second to set yourself strongly before moving into the form.
6.  Your kicks are above belt level, you have good lock outs, your chambers are at height, good balance and full extension on your kicks.
7.  Eye level - you are fighting an opponent directly in front of you and keep your eyes at this level
8.  Intensity - eye of the tiger time guys, I don't want to see you walking through the motions, each form is a fight with an opponent, look strong throughout.
9.  Good breathing - kihaps, keeping your breathing in time with your motions (sounding like a train puffing with kicks and punches).
10.  Good, deep stances with feet in the correct position.
11.  Hands are kept in TIGHT fists and when chambered, you are at belt level with elbow pulled all the way back and no chicken wings.
12. Chambers are sharp with correct placement, no wrist curls, 90* on front chambers and good symmetry on downblock/overhead block chambers.
13.  Tight knife hands

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

One-Step Questions Week #7, February 22, 2014

1.  I have practiced all 15+ of my forms physically 3 sessions this week. 

2.  I have mentally practiced all 15+ of my forms at least one time a day every day this week.  

3.  I have Palchugi Il Jang checked off.

4.  I have Palchugi Sam Jang checked off. (Palchugi Il, Sam and Oh are due March 1st).

5.  I have physically run my self-defense routines with a partner this week.

6.  I have physically practiced my weapons form this week to my chosen music.  

7.  I have physically practiced my board breaks this week.

8.  I have done 325 round kicks on the bag 2 times this week and one set of 500 timed round kicks.

9.  I have done 65 pushups 2 times this week focusing on perfect pushups.

10.  I have done one set of 100 timed pushups this week.

11.  I have done 45 crunches 5 ways 3 times this week.

12.  I have done two full timed training runs this week.

13.  I have taped myself doing Taeguek Chil Jang and Taeguek Pal Jang this week focusing on the techniques we talked about in the last Saturday class.

14.  I have memorized Koryo and am prepared to work on the technique of this form this week.

No comments: