Saturday, April 19, 2014

One-Step Questions - Saturday, 26th April Week #23 (Counting down the weeks until the Pre-Test)


1.  I have Taegeuk Il, Sam and Oh Jang memorized.  This means I can perform these on the mats alone without long pauses or prompting.

2.  I have Taeguek Il Jang checked off.

3.  I've done 150 round kicks on the bags 3 times this week making sure these are round kicks with my belt knot moving back and forth and the kicks are all above the line on the bag.

4.  I've done 20 perfect pushups 3 times this week.

5.  I've done 20 crunches 5 ways (total of 100) and 3 bridges at an 8 count, 3 times this week.

6.  I've done 2 training runs this week - these do not have to be the full 1.5 mile.  

7.  I've physically practiced all 12 of my lower forms 2 times this week (the full set of 15 will eventually take you about 20-25 minutes to run back to back once you have fully memorized these forms).

8.  I've mentally run Taeguek Il, Sam and Oh Jang 3 times this week.  You can do this by either saying the form out loud or by running it inside your head.

9.  I've written out Taeguek Il, Sam and Oh one time this week.  If writing is an issue then you can dictate these to a parent.  Check your form against a written form to make sure you are correct.

10.  I've begun thinking about my board break combinations (due June 7th) and have written down at least three moves that I like doing as a possible part of my board break combinations.  For instance, if you have a great Ax kick then you should have that in one of your combinations.

11.  I have video taped myself doing the form I am working on to get checked off this week so I can see myself and begin to be aware of the items that are looked at to get a form checked off.


This includes but is not limited to:

- Hip placement - is your belt level in stances or are you thrusting one hip out or up?

-Foot placement - are your heels straight back on front stances and walking stances? is your back foot pointed at a forward angle on back stances with 60-70% of your weight on the back foot?

- Are you spotting crisply?

- Strong transfer of weight (settling/timing) where your whole body comes to a stop at the same time?

- Are all your kicks at or above waist level?

- Rechambering all of your kicks at level?

- Striking and not placing of your hands and chambers?

- Is there symmetry in the placement of your hands and chambers?

12. I have worked on my punches in the mirror 3 times this week - check for wrist curls (relax muscles and pinch sides of wrist and it will fall into a straight position), make sure your elbow has a slight bend in it to protect your joint and to place your fist off the center of your chest, a marble should roll from your elbow down to the center two knuckles off your fist.

13.  I have worked on my high blocks in the mirror 3 times this week making sure I am chambering symmetrically and parallel (should look like a diamond shape in the mirror), when you make your high block check for the arm to be above your forehead, no wrist curls and the profile of your arm shows the flat inside curl of your fingers in the mirror.

14.  I have worked on my front stances - 20 each side 3 times this week.  My hips are parallel to the wall I am facing, my back leg is completely straight, my shoulders are over my hips and I can make my stance lower by bending my knee and dropping my hips towards the floor.  Check how you look sideways in the mirror to make sure your torso is not coming forward in your stance.  How low can you go and still kick out of your stance?

15.  I have worked on my walking stance 3 times this week making sure my heels are pointed straight back, my feet are slightly wider than my hips and there is no visible bend in my knees. (Remember Godzilla and stomping the buildings in Tokyo.)  

No comments: