Saturday, April 30, 2016

One-Step Questions for Saturday, 7th May


Special note to candidates and their families:  Instructor Dan has made it mandatory this week for a parent to be present during the first 10 minutes of my class.  We cannot stress enough just how vital a role parents play in this process for your child - while you don't need to do martial arts yourself in order for your child to achieve their black belt, your support, understanding, assistance in keeping them on track and awareness of when they are hitting the wall are all vital in getting them through this journey and to their end goal.

I've been in your shoes and helped a child get her Black Belt before I was even a bodan myself.  As a parent the most helpful thing you can do is be there during class to take notes for your child.  We go through a TON of information each class and your child isn't able to take notes and believe me by the end of class they've forgotten most of it. I hope to see a full house next week at least for the first 10 and, as I like to tell my kids when I want them to do something for me, "bonus brownie points" for staying the whole time and taking notes for them!


One-Step Questions - Saturday, 7th May

1.  If I am under 14 years of age, I have a parent at the dojo to watch me cross the Red Rope today!

****Note - to complete the rest of the One-Step Questions you need to answer YES and take a step forward on Question #1.  We cannot stress enough how big a role you've just played in your child's sucess on this journey!

2. I have Taeguek Il Jang checked off.  This is at least the 3 week on this form  - if you have truly been working on this form but are still having trouble you need to schedule a private lesson or talk to an instructor. (Due May 21)

3. I have Taeguek Sam Jang checked off. (Due May 21)

4. I have Taeguek Il, Sam and Oh Jang memorized.  This means I can do the form on my own without any prompts or long pauses.

5.  I have physically practiced and mentally reviewed my three curriculum forms for three session this week.  I say sessions because if you are having trouble with a form you should practice it until you have it solid in your brain. 

6. I have video taped myself doing Taeguek Il, Sam and Oh Jang and watched it for form and technique.

7. I have done 20 Perfect Pushups and 7 Tricep Pushups 3 times this week.

8. I have done 50 round kicks on the bags 3 times this week.

9. I have done 40 crunches and 5 V-ups 3 times this week.

10.  I have done 2 training runs this week.
11.  I have two board break combinations written down in my binder.  I have shown my combinations to a Black Belt for feedback on how I can improve.  (Due June 11th)

No comments: