Sunday, July 17, 2016

One-Step Questions for Saturday, 30th July - 11 Weeks to the PreTest!

Good luck with testing this week Candidates!  Be prepared to do ANY of the lower 12 forms.  If you are struggling with memorization, work on your Mnemonic Devices!


Mnemonics are memory devices that help learners recall larger pieces of information, especially in the form of lists like characteristics, steps, stages, parts, phases, etc. We knew back in 1967 from a study by Gerald R. Miller that mnemonics increased recall. He found that students who regularly used mnemonic devices increased test scores up to 77%! (From an article in The Learning Center Exchange.)


One-Step Questions for Saturday, 30th July - 11 Weeks to the PreTest!


1. I have physically practiced all 12 of my lower forms 8 times and mentally reviewed them (writing them down, speaking out loud and/or reviewing in your head) 8 times over the past 2 weeks.

***NOTE: You must do Question #1 to continue down the floor!***

2. I have Palchugi Ee and Sah Jang checked off. (Due July 25th)

3.  I have Palchugi Yuk Jang checked off. (Due July 25th)

4. I video taped myself doing the form I am working on, my board breaks, my weapons form and my self-defense (with or without partners) in the past 2 weeks.

5. I have done 50 Perfect Pushups in a row without breaks plus 20 Side-Plank Pushups (Pushup Position to Side Plank, Pushup to other side Plank = 1 set) 6 times in the past 2 weeks.

6. I have done 300 round kicks on the bags 6 times in the past 2 weeks (use a couch cushion, pillow or even kicks in the air at home).

7. I have done 25 crunches 5 ways (25x5=125 total crunches each session) 6 times in the past 2 weeks.

8. I have done 5 training runs in the past 2 weeks.

9. I have my weapons form completed and I have been working on memorization.  I have at least a 30 move section memorized. (Due July 16th.)

10. I have at least three of my sparring classes checked off. 

11.  I have 6 Self-Defense attack and defense combination moves written down in my journal. (Due August 6th)

12.  I have done two rounds of air sparring or partner sparring at two minutes each with a 30 second break in between (total air sparring time is 4 minutes) 4 times in the past two weeks.

13.  I have three proposed song selections for my weapons form.  Do your form to these songs and see if you think they work for your weapon.  Tape yourself and ask for advice from the teaching team on which song you should pick.

14.  I have practiced my board break combinations 4 times over the past 2 weeks.

No comments: