Saturday, April 1, 2017

One-Step Questions for Saturday, 8th April - 29 weeks to the Pre-Test

One-Step Questions for Saturday, 8th April - 29 weeks to the October Pre-Test

Welcome candidates to the November Black Belt cycle.  Over the next 29 weeks we will be working hard towards our goal of being prepared candidates for the October Pre-test.

Today we talked about the 4 rules to follow in order to get your Black Belt or next degree.  If you don't have these written down in your binder print them off and put them in the front of your book so you know how to accomplish your goal.

1.  Follow the One-Steps.  Print off the One-Steps for each week and check the items off as you accomplish them.  Break them up over the 3-5 days of training that you do each week so you ALWAYS know what you need to work on when you are on the mats.

2.  THERE IS NO MAGIC THAT CAN REPLACE PRACTICE.  Plan on spending anywhere from 10-15 hours each week practicing in class and outside of class in order to achieve your Black Belt.

3.  On Saturday start at 7:15 Yoga and end when they close the doors at 11:30AM.  The Pre-Test is anywhere from 5-7 hours long. Push yourself to work as hard as you can every Saturday and by the time the Pre-Test comes along your endurance will match what is going to be thrown at you.

4.  Weapons, board breaks and self-defense are the fun icing on the cake.  If you aren't nailing the basics and getting forms checked off you can have the most amazing weapons form ever done at the dojo and it won't matter.  You don't move on to get your Black Belt without getting forms checked off.

I'm going to add one more in that we discussed at the tail end of class.
5.  Have your binder out and ready to take notes before you ask for someone to look at your form.  When someone takes the time and effort to assist you on your journey, respect them by being ready to write down what they tell you to work on.  If you don't understand something ASK them what it means.  If they tell you to fix something but you don't know how ASK them to give you exercises to work on to fix the problem.  If you have been given something to work on and you DON'T do it - that is on YOU.  If you take this process seriously you will be seen as a serious candidate and people will invest their time and energy into helping you on your journey. 

One-Step Questions for Saturday, 8th April - 29 weeks to the October Pre-Test

1.  I practiced my 6 Palchugi forms plus Taeguek Ee, Sah and Yuk Jang for 3 sessions this week.  That means if you are having trouble remembering a form you do it over and over again until you get it right.

2.  I have mentally reviewed my forms 3 times this week.  You can say the forms out loud, write them down or walk through them in your head.

If you haven't taken those first two steps forward then see #1-5 above regarding achieving your Black Belt.  Those first two steps tell everyone whether you are a serious candidate or not.

3.  I have done 5 perfect pushups 3 times this week.

4.  I have done 30 round kicks on the bag 3 times this week.

5.  I have done 5 crunches 5 ways for a total of 25 good crunches with pauses at the top 3 times this week. 

See this link on how to do Crunches 5 Ways http://bbcandidate.blogspot.com/p/crunches-5-ways.html

6.  I have done 1 run this week outside of class.

7.  I have video taped myself doing Taeguek Ee, Sah and Yuk Jang and have viewed those tapes to see what I need to work on.  Check your shoulders, foot placement, stances, hands, chambers, timing, etc.  

See this link for how to get a Taeguek Form checked off - print the document off and add it to your binder.
http://bbcandidate.blogspot.com/p/how-to-get-form-checked-off.html

8.  I have practiced my Ax kicks 20 kicks (10 per leg) 3 times this week making sure my foot is toe up on the upswing and toe pointed down on the down stroke.  I am practicing tempo slowing down my kick on the upswing and bringing it down strong on the down stroke so I have a noticeable speed difference.  I have video taped myself to make sure I have accomplished this skill.

9.  My gear bag is ready to go for a full day of working out - I have my running shoes, clothing appropriate for running outside, my weapons, a small snack/beverage and my binder with my one-step questions, blank paper for taking notes and a writing instrument.

No comments: